Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Concluding Postscript

For the record, I graduated with a First Class Honours Degree from Highland Theological College on 17 September, winning the HTC UHI Student of the Year Award for the 2009-2010 session.

Whatever I have achieved, whatever benefit I have drawn from this course, is in huge measure down to the faculty and staff of HTC, past and present.  Special thanks must go to Principal Hector Morrison, Vice-Principal Jamie Grant and Dr Michael Bird – all formative influences upon me, who have rescued me from travelling down false alleys, have taught me truth and provided an example of grace in the Way.  It has been a privilege to sit at the feet of such teachers.

Also, special mention must go to Martin Cameron, who has quite rightly been described to me as the best theological librarian you could wish for.  He has also become my good friend (and supplier and co-consumer of Chinese food!).  And to my fellow students, in no particular order: Ross, Joe, Stuart, Eilidh, Emily, Eileen, Ross, Andrea, Alex, Morag, Stephen, Annie, Liz, and many more.  Grace and peace to you all.

And also to my friend, ex-pastor and colleague the Reverend Iain MacAskill, who lent me books and provided a constant example of grace and zeal for the kingdom of God and for the salvation of the lost during my studies, helping me to ‘keep it real’!  He has been of more help to me in the Way than I can express.

And finally to my wife and children – suffering a husband and father late with the dinner, and often in the shedquarters studying.  Strength and dignity are her clothing; my children are like olive plants around my table.  My family: a great gift and blessing from the LORD. 

Soli Deo gloria.