Friday, September 03, 2010

China and the Authority of Jesus

china The VdT silence is broken!

Soon, I will post reflections on my final year modules at HTC (yeah, yeah…you said that before), and perhaps a few other reflections on my time at HTC.  But I wanted to post something before that…

On Sunday last, I was preaching on Matthew 28:16-20 in a Church of Scotland congregation in North Uist.  The words of Jesus, recorded by Matthew, are pregnant with prophetic power.  I was citing the growth of Christianity in China as a powerful example of the fulfilment of the words of Christ: ‘all authority has been given to me, in heaven and on earth.’

How wonderful it was, then, to listen to Crossing Continents on Radio 4, reporting on this phenomenon, and to hear new Christians being baptised ‘in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,’ in obedience to Jesus’ command.  Of course, Christianity’s growth in China is not straightforward; there are many issues and potential problems.  However, it is a cause for praise.  In the words of one of the interviewees: ‘God is doing a great job in China!’

China is quickly becoming one of the most prominent global economic powers, and hence political powers.  The waxing of the dominance of the West, especially in Old Europe, reminds me of the words of Moore in his Zephaniah commentary: ‘The kingdoms, powers and governments of world history are the scaffolding for the kingdom of God, to be torn down when their purposes are accomplished.’