Friday, August 31, 2007

Edinburgh Dogmatics: Homeward Bound

I'm sitting on the ferry leaving Skye, very tired after my 4.30 start this morning, and listening to Sigur Ros for a bit of Nordic relaxation to ease me back into the wilderness, but reflecting on a profitable week in Edinburgh at the 12th Dogmatics Conference - on the Person of Christ. It was great to spend time with current and old friends, to make new friends, and to worship with fellow disciples, brothers and sisters. Fittingly, the final words of the final paper (from Steve Holmes) were 'thanks be to God for his unspeakable gift'. Amen! I have a few good quotes to take home, a mountain of food for thought, and the memory of a bumbling (on my behalf!) interchange with Bruce McCormack about Barth's Imago Dei theology! Note to self: do not engage a Barth scholar on Barth as a first year undergrad! I hope to post some reflections on the papers and some issues raised by them over the next few days.

You heard it here first (or firstish): the subject of the 13th Edinburgh Dogmatics Conference in 2009 will be the Doctrine of the Church. Unlucky for nobody, I would say.