Sunday, June 03, 2007

Doctor Who and Who is Jesus?

Yesterday I watched Doctor Who. It's been a while - I have early memories of watching at a friends house and being scared half to death. But yesterday, I was pretty impressed. In Episode 9 of the current series, the Doctor is glimpsed as a transcendent, powerful being who executes judgement on rogue entities who persist in rebellion. In the episode, set in pre-World War I Britain, a schoolboy (via a watch which has been chosen to contain the essence of the Timelord) glimpses the awesomeness of the Doctor. At one point he describes him in words like this...

He burns at the centre of time, and sees the turn of the universe.
He is ancient, but he is forever.

The picture and poetry were striking. The Doctor is a fictional character, but there is a factual someone else who fits this description.

I heard a story this morning: a primary teacher in our congregation had written on a blackboard in school (for a RE lesson, I think) 'Who is Jesus?'. She left the words on the board after the lesson ended...When she returned to the room someone had written underneath. At that point in the story, I was thinking: 'what would I write?'. Something theological? Yes. Something majestic? Yes. Perhaps, 'the Son of God'. Perhaps...

He burns at the centre of time, and sees the turn of the universe.
He is ancient, but he is forever.

In fact, one of the pupils had written underneath...

My friend.