Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Reflections on Bebbington

One of the things that struck me in Prof Bebbington's paper was the mention of the post-millenial eschatological thought in Wales. Wales is often the forgotten nation, so quoting Calvinistic Methodists Thomas Charles (whilst not in an entirely positive way - which I might concur with) and William Williams was well received by me! Of course you know the post-mill heritage is there, but it's nice when someone else notices! Some time ago I read Iain Murray's 'Puritan Hope' which influenced my own thoughts...but that was a long time ago and my thoughts have moved on. However, post-mill is still where I'd put myself: I need to re-evaluate this position to see if it still 'fits' with where I am now. The emphasis that the Calvinistic Methodists placed on bringing in the millenium through proclamation and attendant social action led to great days for Christianity in Wales. I'd like to see Reformed Christianity in Wales develop in the line of its roots - with a post-millenial eschatology and attendant motivation and programme. It's also interesting to see the thematic links between the traditional post-mill view and some of the thought coming out of Emergent with regards to the eschaton. But, that's not history, it's the now...