Monday, April 09, 2007

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

I actually said the above once to a guerilla-cyclist (he looked like one anyway - are you now thinking of a gorilla-cyclist because I am) in Cardiff after a close encounter with a car. I was on my modified Pashley Micro folder, which immediately marks you out as more of an activist than you might actually be. It's a dubious moral statement from a purely analytic standpoint - especially since Ezekiel's vision of God was marked by a proliferation of wheels. Anyway, I've been reading (by way of a change of scenery from theology books) Matt Seaton's book The Escape Artist, which describes his love affair with cycling. I've also been sitting in my study/bikehouse working on my essay next to said Pashley, my mountain and road bikes. And, to top it all, I recently read an article in Dec 2006s Third Way (still a few issues behind and trying to catch up - could someone slow down time please) entitled What Would Jesus Drive? After working as a Transport Consultant for about 13 years (unlucky for some), I thought I might go a-thinkin' and a-bloggin' on cycling, cars and transport from a theological perspective. Esoteric, but I think it was Rookmaaker who said that we must show that Christianity is true everywhere (could be paraphrasing a bit there). So, I will go a-thinkin'...