Monday, March 19, 2007

New Books of the Moment

I've updated the books of the moment (over there in the left). My high regard for deSilva's NT Intro is fabled in HTCs first year class (!), but the time has come for it to make way for new inspirational books. Similarly, Waltke's commentary on Genesis has been great, but it must descend into the west (on the blog at least). The new kids on the block are:
1. Inspiration and Incarnation by Peter Enns. This book has helped me a great deal. Despite the hassle that Mr Enns has endured from some, I want to declare my thanks for this book. OK, it may have flaws, but for me it's an important one.
2. The Interpretation of the New Testament 1861 -1986 by Stephen Neill and Tom Wright. Never before in the (my) history of reading has a book with such a stuffy title been such a good read. Neill is an excellent story teller and right at the start he brings you into the excitement and industry of Westcott, Lightfoot and Hort in a way that just keeps you reading. It really is excellent (oh, and I haven't finished it yet - so the ending might not be as good!).