Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Church and Kingdom

The relationship between the Church and the Kingdom is an interesting question, no?! I'd like to read Gerhardus Vos' on it, but in the meantime I came across this by Michael Green:

...the church is not the kingdom, although the association between the two is close. Thus can Jesus say in almost the same breath, 'I will build my church...I will give you the keys of the kingdom' (16:18-19). But the church is like the net, containing good fish and bad. The church is like the harvest field, weeds and wheat together. The church is at present a 'mixed economy' and at the end of time the day of judgement will sort it out....No, the church cannot be identified with the kingdom, but it does represent that part of God's kingly rule which is no longer in open revolt against the rightful King, but professes to have surrendered to him.

Michael Green, Gospel of Matthew, Bible Speaks Today (pp46-47)